02 February 2016

SharePoint 2013 Pages - How to edit in browser

Recently I was trying to edit a SharePoint page in SharePoint 2013. When I clicked on 'Edit Page' button in SharePoint ribbon after selecting the page, I got following error -

We’re sorry, we couldn’t find a program to open this document

On my machine, SharePoint Designer is not installed. On a different server where it is installed, the above mentioned operation used to first launch the SharePoint Designer and then open the page in browser in 'Edit' mode.

I found that on different server, when page opens in edit mode, the URL has following query-string appended to it -

?ToolPaneView=2&pagemode=edit

I manually added this to my SharePoint page to be edited -

https://<my_sharepoint_site>/<my_page>.aspx?ToolPaneView=2&pagemode=edit

And Voila, it worked. I was able to edit the page and then save it as per normal process.


No comments: