12 December 2015

SharePoint - Error when configuring Federated Search (Open Search 1.0/1.1)

Recently I was trying to configure Federated Search on my SharePoint environment. I was configuring "Bing Search" as a Federated Result source.
(http://www.bing.com/search?q={?searchterms}&format=rss&Market=en-US).

After configuring it, when I tested the result source, I got following exception logged in SharePoint ULS logs -

SearchServiceApplication::Execute--Exception: System.ServiceModel.FaultException`1[System.ServiceModel.ExceptionDetail]: key is null or empty 

When I searched over internet, I came across Microsoft forum which mentions that this happens if your SharePoint installation has Sep 2014 update. This issue was fixed in Nov 2014 update.

I checked my SharePoint version and found that indeed I had Sep 2014 update only. It was not updated to Nov 2014 cumulative update. After performing the update, the issue got fixed.



No comments: